Our Matcha Cinnamon Roll is a decadent delight crafted for those moments when you crave a little something special but don't want to make a whole batch. Indulge in this comforting matcha cinnamon treat, you won't regret it!
THE CINNAMON ROLL DOUGH
- 3/4 cup self raising flour + more to roll out
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
THE CINNAMON SUGAR
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp matcha
- 2 heaped tbsp white sugar
- 3 tsp icing sugar
- 1/4 tsp matcha
- 3-4 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp smooth cashew butter
- 1 tbsp roasted cashew nuts to top, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 170°C.
- To a bowl, add your flour & greek yoghurt, mixing with your sugar and a pinch of salt until you end up with a dough.
- Knead the dough for around 5 minutes on a floured surface to activate the gluten in the flour - it’s done once the dough rips rather than snaps when pulled apart.
- When you’re happy with the dough, roll it out with a rolling pin, changing the direction by 90° every few times you roll on it, so you have a rectangle about 30cm long, and just less than 1cm thin.
- In a small bowl, mix your sugar with cinnamon and matcha, then set aside.
- Spread 1 tbsp of cashew butter evenly across the dough, then sprinkle over your cinnamon sugar - you might not use all of this, but make sure you cover the dough generously.
- Slice the dough into 3 lengthways, then roll up one of the strips, following the sliced side as your guide, so you end up with a neat roll.
- Place the roll on top of the next strip, continuing to roll the dough, following the sliced line. Repeat with the last strip too - you should end up with a neat roll on the sliced side, and a frayed side on the other side of the roll.
- Place your cinnamon roll into your bowl or ramekin, with the sliced side facing up.
- Brush with some milk to glaze, then bake for 25-30 minutes, or until risen significantly & golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool slightly, then once you’re ready to serve, sieve your icing sugar and matcha into a bowl, adding 1 tbsp of water at a time for your icing.
- Add water, mixing well, until you have a drizzly consistency which isn’t too runny.
- Chop some roasted cashews & add to the top for a crunch.
Now all left to do is enjoy!